Have you ever seen a meteor across the sky? Well… in reality? For those who have must be knowing the difficulty in capturing a moment that passes by a fraction of a second. This is because no one anticipates where, when and how the meteor will pass. Now if you happen to be at a place where meteor showers are occurring, you are lucky! But the way you wish to take as many photos as you want depends on a number of tools and angles.
Celestial events as these are rare. So why not pore through some incredible meteor shower photography ideas. Photography is said to be painting with light and needless to say that some of the best pictures in the world have been captured at night. Also check Charming Moonlight Photography ideas.
Meteor Shower Photography Ideas
Tips and tricks to capture meteor shower moments
- Check for a location that is away from the heart of the city. Dark skies can bring prominent effects
- Be quick. The longer you keep the shutter open, the more difficulty arises in capturing spellbinding pictures.
- Try and keep your focus to infinity. It’s tricky but concentrate on the moon or a bright star or simply switch over to the camera’s live-view function.
- A strong tripod is a must to get sharp photos.
- A wired cable release like a simple cord having the locking shutter release button is required. Just set the camera to the widest aperture and highest ISO.
- Choose the fastest f-stop and widest angle lens.
- As a rule of photography, try to position the camera from the Northwest to the Northeast. This will actually help achieve the best results.
- Your power supply should be adequate. The activity is generally night long and the best meteors are those that fall just before sunrise, so keep a replacement to be safe.
- A fast memory card that has a large capacity will sustain the shooting through the night. A slight pause at the time of taking the shots may cause complete damage to the flow of capturing.
- Pay attention to the composition. Pick a foreground element (like trees, mountains). This will enhance the overall picture quality.
- Let’s take a look at some of the most beautiful examples of portrait photography.
Photo ideas to fall back on
As stressed earlier, capturing meteor shoot moments is indeed difficult. Aside keeping in mind the tips and tricks that work wonders, you can resort to certain pictures. Take some incredible meteor shower photography ideas from professionals or browse the net and the rest can be accomplished with ease. Fascinating Black and White Photography is trending these days and has become a symbol of subtle imagery.
This is the most common photo that shutterbugs prefer. A shower or cluster against a blue sky looks wonderful. The meteor lights are so bright that the picture looks amazing when set against such background. With trees or mountains at the background, the overall result speaks volumes about photography at its best.
The long ion tail
Amidst the stars that make the night sky, a long tail of the meteor is another piece of classic photography. Often you see different shades of blue, with each being distant from the other. Such pictures are timeless and must haves. Imagine the Milky Way and you will know.
Streaks in the forest
That’s how it would sound appropriate! A capture taken from the bottom to put the entire forest into the frame is a lovely shot no doubt. With stars and meteor showers added to it, you know how it will stand out from the rest.
This is another popular form of capture for meteor showers. Whether a beautiful band or mix of colors, this phenomenon is common in many Western nations and a hot favorite among those who love the lens. However, this is a difficult one for the ambience needs to provide a similar impact. Only then can you expect such a marvelous outcome.
If you have an experimental mind, making your camera speak is easy. Find some incredible meteor shower photography ideas and modify the way you would like to.