Groceries take the top spot on the monthly shopping list of all the households. We plan the quantity of each and every ingredient we want to buy for the following month before shopping for them. But sometimes the estimation might go wrong and you would want to keep the grocery items for a longer period.
It is important to store them in the right containers and a proper atmosphere to have them last longer. The following methods will certainly help you in doing the same! Also here are some genius DIY life hacks for kitchen that will help you to keep your kitchen upgraded with latest technologies and makes cooking pleasant.
Ensuring A Longer Life For The Groceries
Let the vegetables last longer
- Onions are one of the basic ingredients which is present in all the kitchen round the week. An easy hack to keep these onions, fresh is by storing them in an empty plastic water bottle after chopping. Leave this bottle in the freezer and sprinkle out the required quantity when cooking. Try to keep the onions away from the potatoes.
- You can store the salad greens in a clean, dry bowl with a plastic wrap and place a paper towel over the bowl to absorb the moisture.
These hacks are for fruits!
- We all love berries, don’t we? The best way to keep the berries from getting moldy and soft is by swirling the berries in a mixture of one part of vinegar to ten parts water. You won’t we even taste the vinegar when you eat these berries later.
- To prevent the chopped avocado or guacamole from turning brown, add some lemon juice or olive oil in the container, cover it with a plastic wrap and put it in the fridge.
- In case you spot a rotten apple along with a bunch of other apples, then remove it away as it will spoil the whole bunch.
- Cover the bunch of bananas with a plastic wrap will keep them fresh for days longer. Christmas is here so here are some clever Christmas food ideas that you must try.
Use these tricks for the delicious dairy and nuts
- You can rub the cut side of a block of cheese with butter to keep it from drying out. Never wrap the left out cheese block with plastic bag. Use a cheese paper or wax paper to wrap it.
- Remember to store the cheese in the warmest part of your fridge like the vegetable or cheese drawer.
- Store the nuts in the freezer to keep them fresh longer. The ideal method is to put them in Mason jars that have the air vacuumed out with a food saver and attachment.
Follow these general methods
- You should always store highly perishable items like milk on the middle shelf in your fridge. Never store them in the door where the temperature keeps fluctuating as you open and close the door.
- Avoid over-stocking your fridge as it will keep air from circulating properly leading to warm spots that can cause spoilage.
- Avoid chopping fruits, vegetables and meat long before using them.
- Glass mason jars are one of the best storing options and you can also seal them with an automatic vacuum sealer.
Here are a few Amazing Cooking Hacks for Working Women that you can resort to. These will help you rustle up a meal faster. All you need is a little bit of preparation and planning. These tips are simple, easy to implement and also they are highly impactful. So why think too much? Start following them right away to ensure a longer life for the groceries.